Date Night #1: Kiyokawa Restaurant, Beverly Hills CA

kiyokawa2web

As many of our readers know, we’re writing this blog from both Los Angeles and Phoenix. So a typical weekend for us might be pick up Kim at the airport, spend time with family and friends, cook and eat with family and friends, and finally drive Kim back to the airport. This leaves little time for us to really enjoy and explore the dining scene in LA and Orange County. So starting with this post, we’re going to start a feature called Date Night were we put down the knives and get out of the kitchen.  These posts won’t necessarily be blow by blow reviews of every dish or an encompassing review of a restaurant, but more a glimpse of our dining experience.

The first Date Night destination was Kiyokawa Japanese Restaurant in Beverly Hills. We first heard of this restaurant from Jonathon Gold’s write up last year declaring Chef Satoshi Kiyokawa as perhaps the best unknown chef in Los Angeles because his kaiseki style multi-course dinner rivaled those costing more 3 times as much. Though he didn’t say it directly, we assume he must mean Urasawa, also in Beverly Hills, one of the most expensive restaurants in California.

kiyokawa

Kim in her dress and I, in a suit sans tie, walked in early on a Friday night and immediately made a bee line for the bar and sat in front of Chef Kiyokawa. We ignored the thick menu and ordered the Chef’s Omakase ($78) and the Sashimi tasting ($48) menu.  So nice and soft spoken, Chef Kiyokawa warmly greets you, asking if you have any food restrictions before beginning his magic.  Just watching Kiyokawa prepare you meal was almost worth the price of admission. From the way he molds the sushi rice to how he slices the fish and grates your fresh wasabi, he has a distinct style and rhythm that was fun to watch.

kiyokawa3web

Meticulous to the tiniest detail, Kiyokawa’s sashimi platter on plate ice looked too good to eat. Spanish mackeral perfectly sashimied and presented back on it’ body, toro, abalone, and de-headed before your eyes, Santa Barbara spot prawn, tentacles still twitching…

kiyokawa4web
The array of small cooked bites were varied in flavors, textures, and delicious.
kiyokawa5web

kiyokawa6web

Platter of cooked dishes highlighted by seared foie gras, marinated uni, kumomoto oyster with caviar and goldflakes.

kiyokawa8web

Shockingly simple in presentation but so full of flavor, this soup was on Gold’s Best 100 dishes of 2009 and lauded it as “worthy of a 3 star Chef.” A beautiful dashi broth with daikon, taro, snow peas, carrot, and crab. Outstanding and well deserved.

kiyokawa9web

We love recycling–especially when it’s the body of the Spanish mackerel and head of the Santa Barbara spot prawn deep fried and brought back to you. Nothing was wasted. The bones of the Spanish mackerel was so thin and delicate I ate the entire thing.

There were several other delicious dishes not presented here included a  miso marinated blackcod, scallop and tofu soup, and finish with plate of sushi.  We also did not photograph the sushi omakase, but can be seen here.

kiyokawa10web

Dessert was a bento box of delicious treats.  The experience was fantastic and Chef Satoshi Kiyokawa was such a gracious host–he even opened the door for us on the way out as we left for the evening!

No dear readers, Date Night won’t mean we’ll cook less and morph into a restaurant blog, but it will mean that at least once a month we will spend an evening exploring good restaurants, spending time with each other outside the kitchen, and keeping that spark nice and bright…

265 S. Robertson Ave
Beverly Hills, CA
(310) 358-1900
Share/Bookmark

16 Responses to “Date Night #1: Kiyokawa Restaurant, Beverly Hills CA”

Kung Food Panda — July 27, 2010 @ 6:55 am

This place looks absolutely FANTASTIC! I must go one day…maybe on my own "date night?" 🙂

Fresh Local and Best — July 27, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

I like that photo of Chef Kiyokawa plating the fish, it reflects his concentration and attention to detail. I like that the menu offers an impressive range of flavors, textures and exotic surprises to experience. I don't have LA in my travel plans just yet, but I'll definitely keep this place in mind for when I visit.

Ravenous Couple — July 27, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

KFP: Yes, your own date night would be ideal, but only if she's special! 🙂

Christine: kaseiki dinners are great and love it because it's not all sushi.

marla {family fresh cooking} — July 27, 2010 @ 5:57 pm

Thanks for sharing your date night with us! Kiyokawa looks like a place to have a lovely & creative meal in Beverly Hills.

Gastronomer — July 27, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

How lovely!! I can't quite bring myself to drop my pretty pennies at Urasawa, but this place I can handle. It's on my TO EAT list.

pigpigscorner — July 27, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

Wow everything looks fantastic! and the presentation is beautiful!

Pandalicious — July 27, 2010 @ 10:36 pm

wow, beautiful pix! everything looks amazing!!

Louise — July 28, 2010 @ 2:56 am

Incredible photography, especially love the first shot with the shrimp- thanks for stopping by "Satisfied"- Louise

nelehelen — July 28, 2010 @ 6:32 pm

ahhh i've been wanting to come here FOREVER (BEFORE jgold put it on blast)!!! i had his omakase meal memorized.. i know, i'm a food stalker. 🙂 hopefully i can go ASAP!

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — July 29, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

WOW! Such a beautiful presentation! You can clearly see the look of concentration on the chef's face as he pieces the dish together. Since money's a bit tight here, thanks for letting me experience this place through your post!

Forager @ The Gourmet Forager — July 30, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

Presentation looks amazing – love the little whole crab looking lively there too! Aaaaand the chef in the background doesn't look half bad either! 😉

Tiny Urban Kitchen — July 30, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

You're totally making me want to come here the next time I'm in LA. Never had a full kaiseki experience before!

Daniel - The Teen Cook — July 31, 2010 @ 10:42 am

That all looks very nice, yum!

asianscook4you — July 31, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

I LOVE PHO SO DELICOUS!
    I got a shirt from Vietnam with I LOVE PHO 😀

Linh

Tammy — August 9, 2010 @ 1:57 am

Oh, guys! Looks as though you had a wonderful time! He is quite the esthetic food artist, to judge by your photos.

Just wrote about my own date night…in Barcelona. A well-earned Michelin star no matter how you look at it (my snaps don't match the quality of your images, I'm afraid).

fox news — October 16, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

Oh man, I would love to visit Beverly Hills CA, not to mention a great restaurant. Great post, I enjoyed reading it and watching the cool images.