Happy Memorial Day weekend! I have a sister now serving in Iraq as well as cousins in the military and I know they miss home made Vietnamese food dearly! We send them pho instant noodles when we can but I know she loves nem nuong cuon so this is a tribute to her and all the men and women in the military service protecting our country and freedom. May God bless and bring them home safely.
Last week, we posted our nem nuong recipe and emphasized its versatility and used it for nem nuong sliders and bun nem nuong and banh mi nem nuong. Our other favorite way to eat nem nuong is nem nuong cuon (spring rolls with grilled pork patties). This is a an amazingly fresh way to enjoy the grilled pork and all you have to add are spring roll wrappers, fresh herbs, and optional fried egg roll wrapper for a delcious crunch. Now you know why we always have nem nuong in our freezer–delicious and refreshing nem nuong cuon can be made in no time.
- 2 lbs. pork finely ground
- 2 tbs garlic finely minced
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tbs salt
- 1/2 tbs pepper ground
- 4 tsp baking powder alsa brand single acting
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 ts red food coloring or 1 tsp nuoc mau optional and found in most asian groceries or make your own
Nem Nuong Cuon
- 1 package of rice paper wrapper 3 bamboo or 3 ladies brand
- 1 wheat egg roll wrappers small square or large cut in quarters
- 1 ts corn or tapioca starch
- 1 tbsp water
- cucumbers thinly sliced rectangles (about 1 x 3 inches)
- pickled carrots and daikon
- Nuoc mam cham
- For Fried Egg Roll Wrappers
- Combine pork, garlic, salt, pepper and sugar in mixing of a bowl of a stand mixer bowl and mix well with a paddle until it becomes slightly tacky. In separate smaller bowl, combine baking powder, water, drop of red food coloring or caramel syrup (this adds a very nice color to the pork when grilled) and stir as it will fluff and foam.
- Fold the baking powder mixture into the meat and slowly mix again until its incorporated. It be smooth and tacky and slightly sticky. Chill for at least 21 hour. Keep a bowl of water handy and keep your hands moist for easy handling.Form into sausages about the 5 inches in length. Once formed, you can grill right away or refrigerate and chill when ready.
- Pan grill about 4-5 min per side. If you plan to grill on an outdoor grill, form patties around the skewer like a kebab.
Fried Egg Roll Wrappers:
- Make a paste using the corn/tapioca starch and water. Roll the wheat egg roll wrappers into small tight cigars and seal with paste. Fry until golden brown, drain and set aside.
Nem Nuong Cuon
- Have all your mis en place of veggies and nem nuong ready. Dip rice paper in luke warm water and place on plate. Wait about 10s or until paper softens to start rolling. First place the lettuce, then cucumber, and pickled carrots and daikon near the edge of the rice paper closest to you. Roll rice paper over veggies and then fold over each end. Then place some fresh chives, fried egg roll wrapper, and nem nuong and roll tightly. Do not overstuff, you're not making a burrito! Use nuoc mam cham as a dipping sauce.View this post on Instagram
How to roll Nem Nuong cuon vietnamese grilled pork “spam”, lettuce, viet herbs, cucumber, pickled carrots daikon, crispy egg roll wrapper, chive and special sauce. . . . . #vietfood #vietnamesefood #foodporn #yum #instafood #yummy #amazing #instagood #dinner #lunch #breakfast #fresh #tasty #food #delish #delicious #eating #foodpic #igvideo #eat #hungry #foodgasm #nemnuong #f52grams #huffposttaste #beautifulcuisines #foodbeast #springrolls